Flu Vaccination Service 2018
What is flu?
Flu is a common infection of the upper respiratory tract caused by the flu virus. It usually occurs during the winter months. For most people, it is an unpleasant but not life-threatening illness.
What is the flu vaccine and how does it work?
The seasonal flu vaccine helps your immune system to produce antibodies to fight the flu virus. When someone who has been vaccinated comes into contact with the virus these antibodies attack the virus, preventing infection. There are a number of different variations of the flu virus and the type of flu virus in circulation can change each year. This is why a new flu vaccine needs to be given every year. The flu vaccine cannot give you the flu.
Who should get the flu vaccine?
Anyone over the age is 18 is eligible to receive the flu vaccine at your Life Pharmacy. For certain ‘at-risk’ groups, the flu vaccine is highly recommended as you are more likely to experience serious complications if you catch the flu. If you are in one of these ‘at-risk’ groups and have a medical card, you may be entitled to receive the vaccine free of charge:
- Those aged 65 and over
- Those with a long-term medical condition such as diabetes, heart or lung disease
- Those whose immune system is impaired due to disease or treatment, including all cancer patients.
- Those with a body mass index (BMI) over 40
- Pregnant women (can be given at any stage of pregnancy)
- Residents of nursing homes and other long stay institutions
- Healthcare workers
- People with regular close contact with poultry, waterfowl or pigs
Speak to your pharmacist to find out if you are eligible for a free flu vaccine. The flu vaccine is safe at any stage of pregnancy.
When should I get the vaccination?
The flu season lasts from October to April. The vaccine is available from September and the earlier you get it, the better. You will be protected about two weeks after having the vaccine. Because the type of flu virus differs each flu season, you need to get the vaccine every year.
Who is the vaccine not suitable for?
The vaccine should not be given to those with a history of severe allergic reaction to a previous dose of the vaccine or any of its constituents.
How can your Life Pharmacist help?
Your Life Pharmacist can provide the flu vaccination in our private consultation room in the pharmacy. They will check that the vaccine is suitable for you and they can either give you the vaccine then or book you in for an appointment at a time that suits.
We care for you & your health, which is why we offer a range of health services in our pharmacy, including the Flu Vaccination in selected Life Pharmacies. Find your local Life Pharmacy offering the Flu Vaccination Service below:
- Armstrong Life Pharmacy
- Burke’s Medical Hall Life Pharmacy
- Burke’s Strandhill Life Pharmacy
- Burke’s Wine St Life Pharmacy
- Byrne’s Ballsbridge Life Pharmacy
- Colm’s Salthill Life Pharmacy
- Fogarty’s Kilmallock Life Pharmacy
- Foley’s Palmerstown Life Pharmacy
- Good’s Kimmage Life Pharmacy
- Griffin’s Life Pharmacy Leixlip
- Hanover Quay Life Pharmacy
- Hunter’s Dundrum Life Pharmacy
- Life Pharmacy Rathmines
- Moore’s Athy Life Pharmacy
- O’Donovan’s Ballyphehane Life Pharmacy
- Old County Crumin Life Pharmacy
- O’Malley’s Dooradoyle Life Pharmacy
- O’Sullivan’s Tipp Town Life Pharmacy
- Reen’s Killarney Life Pharmacy
- Reen’s Mill Street Life Pharmacy
- Reilly’s Clondalkin Life Pharmacy
- Shannon’s Rathfarnham Life Pharmacy
- Shannon’s Templeogue Life Pharmacy
- Smyth’s Dundalk Life Pharmacy
- Ward’s St Johnston Life Pharmacy
- Young’s Newbridge Life Pharmacy
- Osborne’s Elmo
- Firgrove Life Pharmacy
- Hogan’s Life Pharmacy Limerick