It is never too late to quit smoking and start your journey to improved health, well-being, and quality of life. We at Life Pharmacy are here to support you with helpful advice and tips on how to successfully give up cigarettes! In addition to advice, we also stock a range of Nicotine Replacement Therapies (NRT), including patches, gum, lozenges, and inhalers.
By asking you a few quick questions about your smoking habits and lifestyle, we can help you choose the product best suited to your needs. We can also recommend ways to manage cravings and withdrawals and let you know what to expect when you stop.
Making the decision to stop smoking is a great one. However, everyone’s reasons for quitting will be different. Below are some of the benefits you can look forward to when you stop smoking:
- You will look and feel better and enjoy fresher breath and nicer-smelling clothes.
- You will be fitter, have more energy and enjoy a better quality of life.
- You will reduce your family and friends' exposure to second-hand smoke.
- You will help prevent premature ageing caused by smoking.
- You will have more money in your pocket!
Health benefits of stopping:
- After just 24 hours of quitting you will reduce your risk of a heart attack.
- After 48 hours your sense of smell and taste improve.
- After 3 days nicotine is gone from your body completely.
- After 2-3 weeks your lung function will improve
- Within 2-3 months your lung capacity can increase by up to 30%.
- Within 1 year your chance of heart attack drops by half and within 10 years the risk drops to almost the same as a non-smoker.
- Within 5 years the risk of smoking-related cancers will be greatly reduced.
Tips for quitting:
Prepare to quit: Make a list of why you are quitting – pros and cons.
Pick a quit date: Gradually cut down your smoking. Pick a date and stick to it.
Get support: Your Life pharmacist can encourage you to quit and can help you with each step you take. Speak to a family member, a friend or your GP for support.
Don’t be worried about withdrawal symptoms: They are common. They are positive signs that your body is recovering from the effects of tobacco.
Deal with your cravings: Remember they only last 5 minutes! Distract yourself, and move away from the situation. Drink a glass of water or fruit juice (sip slowly).
Count your savings: Put away the amount of money you would normally spend on cigarettes per week and watch it grow!
Watch what you eat: Eat little and often and try to avoid allowing yourself to go too hungry as this may trigger cravings.
Choose your snacks carefully: Opt for fresh fruit, raw vegetables or low-fat yoghurt.
Watch what you drink: Avoid high sugar fizzy drinks, too much caffeine and limit your amount of alcohol.
Digestion: You may experience a difference in your digestion after quitting smoking – talk to a member of the Life Pharmacy Team who can give you great advice on dealing with constipation, diarrhoea or stomach upset.
Take one day at a time: It may take a while to get used to being without a cigarette in your hand but remember the list of reasons why you are quitting.
Some people find electronic cigarettes useful if they are trying to quit or reduce the number of cigarettes they smoke. However, the long-term risks and health benefits associated with electronic cigarettes are, as yet, unknown.